The Gates Foundation Discovery Center in partnership with South Seattle Emerald and Civic Commons hosted the event virtual event, In Community We Flourish: Enduring COVID-19 on Wednesday, May 5, 2021.
COVID-19’s health and economic impacts have exacerbated and shined a light on existing structural racism and inequities. It has also brought communities together in new ways to meet needs, spread joy, and heal from a world transformed by COVID-19.
A complement to our storytelling exhibit, Enduring COVID-19: Stories from Our Transforming World online now, view the video of our program below to hear inspiring personal stories from around Washington. Then learn ways to get involved and create change with the resources included below.
This program featured:
- Marcus Harrison Green, Founder of South Seattle Emerald
- Ming-Ming Tung-Edelman, Founder of the Refugee Artisan Initiative
- Rosette Royale, Writer & Storyteller
- Roxana Pardo Garcia, Community Organizer for food justice and Founder & Cultural Worker at LaRoxay Productions
- Tony Benton, Founder and Station Manager of Rainier Avenue Radio
- a powerful performance by the Tacoma Refugee Choir
MISSED THE LIVE EVENT?
View the event recording below and listen to the continuation of the conversation on the We Belong Here podcast.
READY TO TAKE ACTION?
Community Organizations Recommended by our Speakers for their COVID-19 Efforts
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation’s COVID-19 Response
Gates Foundation Discovery Center
440 Fifth Avenue North
Seattle, Washington 98109
- Open: Thurs. – Sat.
10 am to 5 pm
- Open:First Thurs. until 7 pm
- Closed: Sun. – Wed.
& most major US holidays
- New Year’s DayClosed
- Independence DayClosed
- Memorial DayClosed
- Labor DayClosed
- Thanksgiving DayClosed
- Christmas EveClosed
- Christmas DayClosed
- New Year's EveClosed