International Women’s Day: A New Generation
The Generation Equality Forum in 2021 fueled a powerful and lasting coalition for gender equality. It presented a vital moment for leaders, activists, feminists, youth, and allies from around the world to come together and build momentum towards achieving lasting, transformative change.
On March 8, 2022 we wanted to keep the momentum going as we came together for a virtual conversation with women leaders in global health and gender equality from the Gates Foundation, WomenLift Health, and Women in Global Health. We discussed how an equal world begins with more inclusive policies and opportunities. We need more women in leadership and decision-making roles — in healthcare, government, public and private sectors. We also need people who raise children and care for sick relatives to have financial support and resources.
Our speakers included:
Watch the Event
Gender Equality Resource Tool Kit
- WomenLift Health an organization dedicated to accelerating the advancement of talented women in senior leadership.
- Women in Global Health was built on a global movement to bring all genders and backgrounds together to achieve the goal of gender equality in global health leadership.
- Come along with KEXP for their International Women’s Month Playlist.
Learn About Gender Equality
- The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is dedicated to creating space and doing the work of talking about Gender Equality. Learn more about the foundation’s work surrounding gender equality here.
- The Goalkeepers community is a global collective of collaborative and diverse changemakers. Members include both emerging and well-known leaders who live all over the world and represent an eclectic range of cultures, professions, and interests. As a community, they are committed to achieving the 17 Global Goals for Sustainable Development, an ambitious blueprint for reimagining a better future for all by 2030, agreed upon by all member states of the United Nations.
Watch & Listen
- The Hidden Economics of Remarkable Women (HERO) is a foundation-supported Foreign Policy podcast series about women who are creating change through economic empowerment.
- Amanda Gorman teamed up with Vital Voices, a nonprofit, non-governmental organization, whose mission is to “Invest in Women Improve the World.
- The 2022 International Women’s Day Organization theme is #BreaktheBias. This year, they highlighted voices from all over the world coming together in this shared mission. Check out their website to see videos like this, from creators like Brooke Bryand Creative.
- Just before the height of the pandemic, in February 2020, Michelle Obama and Oprah Winfrey sat down to talk about the power of “Your life in focus.” While the podcast may have happened a while ago, the messages expressed are still relevant today.
- With the economic recovery failing women, now is the time to act on gender equality. By Melinda French Gates, Co-chair, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Malala Yousafzai is an activist known for her advocacy on education for young girls. Malala teamed up with the Economist for her gripping message on “why girls must be free to lead and learn.”
Advocate & Learn
- Sign up your class/group for a free “Gender Equality: Women’s Empowerment” education program by the Discovery Center.
Ways to get involved:
Even though the day is over, it does not mean the connections have to stop. Below are some organizations dedicated to aiding girls, women, and families as they navigate through life.
- Mother Nation is a Washington based, Native American, grassroots organization. Mother nation specializes in holistic care from cultural healing practices to mentoring and homelessness prevention.
- Powerful Voices is a fully femme, womxn, non-binary staff of color who create space for young girls of color to safely share their truths and experiences.
- Refugee Women’s Alliance also known as ReWA is a multi-ethnic organization located in Seattle, Washington with a mission to aid refugee and immigrant women and their families with resources.
- You Grow Girl was founded in 2002 with a mission to encourage and empower female identifying youth in the foster care system. You Grow Girl helps girls tackle their struggles, while building confidence and community.
- Young Women Empowered is an organization that helps diverse groups of young women cultivate their skills to hone into their power as leaders through dynamic programming offered by their organization.